Today is probably going to seem dull for all of you
following along at home. First thing
this morning, 8 am we were at the car rental.
We explained what happened. The
nice man there came out and looked.
Pounded on the side of the car a few times, pushing the bumper that had
popped out of it’s clips back in. It
looked not 100% back, but 98% and if you weren’t looking, knowing what you were
looking for, you’d probably never see anything.
The nice man said, there ya go.
And that was that. We were on our
way by 8:15.
We took the side roads from St Catherine to Toronto,
Lakeside drive, which was by the Lake, but
also a lot of residential and towns, so it was sporadic views.
Our first stop was Hamilton. If you go by the tourist propaganda, Hamilton is a rising city,
filled with little neighborhoods that have large art districts, boutique
shopping, and café’s. I wondered if we’d
make it to Toronto
today reading the flyers.
Hamilton
in reality, is not this. It’s a very
hard, sharp, dirty city. It does have
some unique shops (like a yarn shop) tucked into streets that look like they’re
trying but have seen much better days.
We stopped at the Gallery of Hamilton, their art museum, only to realize
it’s closed on Mondays. We then went to
the info center, where the very nice lady really couldn’t offer us much to do
aside from a plane war museum and hiking and a large botanical garden. Since it was mid morning and like 110
degrees, hiking was not even an option.
The gardens did look nice, we did a drive by, but the heat made it
impossible and I am still a lobster.
I think we spent all of an hour in Hamilton and that included my visit to the
McD’s restroom. One of the “big shopping
areas” according to the tour book didn’t even have a store on the nice
residential road. So much for truth in
advertising.
Along the way we did stop in the Burlington Art
Center. A great place if you lived here. They have every kind of studio imaginable,
from weaving to carving to ceramics. Their
gallery show was okay. My personal
favorites were a very large sculpture titled cow-zilla in which a Holstein was attacking.
And some carved canes which were gorgeous. One had a cat handle, another was a
friendship cane - a stack of small carved objects: a pumpkin, a mouse with
cheese, eggs, etc.
By then I was starving so we stopped at a place down the
road and I have finally tasted a Canadian Smoked Meat sandwich. It’s good, a lot like corned beef (for some
unknown reason I was expecting something more like bbq). We’ve decided that it must be brined brisket,
but this is thus far unconfirmed.
Making our way into Toronto
we secured lodging and went for a ride.
Toronto is like New York. Or at least it is like the New York that people think is NY. It’s sprawling. It’s dense.
It has lots of neighborhoods. It’s
busy. There is no parking, lots of
construction and the drivers are the worst I have ever seen in my life. Mike doesn’t agree. He thinks it’s “a certain think,” and that he’s
driven in worse. I’m glad he feels that
way. I feel like every 8 blocks (and my
stress) reduced my life by 5 years.
By the time we got down town, I’d say I lost at least 25
years. We went to find the Inuit Art
Museum. Of
course the road it was supposed to be on was under construction, nothing is
clearly marked. We parked and tried to
wander – we found the street number, but it appeared to be a bank building.
Curious we entered, checked the directory and yes, it did
say museum, so we kept going. It was
like an urban version of the Narnia closet.
Walk in and the more you go the more the world changed, from office
building lobby to little mall… opening up to an indoor court yard, with water
pools and escalator to a food court and yes, the Inuit Art museum.
It was small, but very neat sculpture and art. It is a form I really like, though a subject
matter that does not always hold me.
Still, I was glad to have found it.
Starving, we gambled on the Chinese restaurant off the food
court. I was expecting dismal, but was
too tired and hungry to want to fight the traffic again without sustenance. We got lucky, it was a high end restaurant,
so we got to sit by a lake view and the food was great.
Of course, that was followed by another harrowing ride back
to the hotel. Frankly, there is nothing
here that makes me feel the drive and parking is worth it. While perhaps we’ll feel differently in the
morning, at this time in our nightly writing, I think we are going to head out
and not even fight the city.
If you think driving in CA towns made you lose 25 years, you'd be a tot if you drove with Paul. My solution is I take the helm!
ReplyDeleteCK